Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Creamed Spinach


My Mawmaw makes the best creamed spinach I have ever tasted. This Easter I was determined to mimic her recipe. (I cooked a delicious lamb!) Sooo after a lil tweaking a recipe or two, I duplicated it!

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. whole milk
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 tbsp. olive oil
  • 20 oz. frozen spinach, chopped
  • 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Directions:

In a med. sized pot heat olive oil on med/low temp. Add frozen spinach. (I do not boil my spinach) Spinach should be fully cooked. You may need to add more olive oil, eyeball it. You do not want the spinach to stick.

In a separate pot, melt butter and add garlic. Using a whisk, add flour a little at a time, constantly stirring. The consistency will be thick and clumpy. Keep stirring a couple minutes until color changes just slightly. Still using the whisk add milk a little at a time. Clumps will disappear and mixture will become thicker. When clumps have disappeared, add Parmesan cheese. Mixture should start to thicken even more.

Fold cooked spinach into cream. Stir in nutmeg and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment